Jason Victor Serinus' knowledge and enthusiasm speak to initiates and newcomers alike. His open-hearted love of music unites artists and audiences, breaking down the walls of exclusivity.
• Jason has penned CD reviews, music features, performance reviews, artist interviews, audiophile equipment reviews and features, editorials and opinion pieces, and/or critic's choices for:
Stereophile (www.stereophile.com), San Francisco Classical Voice (sfcv.org), Classical Voice North America (https://classicalvoiceamerica.org), Carnegie Hall Playbill, Stanford Live!, andante.com, California Magazine, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (hometheaterhifi.com), DaGoGo.com, Opera News, Opera Now, Gramophone, Muso, American Record Guide, San Francisco Magazine, San Francisco Examiner, Bay Area Reporter (ebar.com), Port Townsend Leader (ptleader.com), East Bay Express, Gay City News, East Bay Monthly, Preview Massachusetts, Spirit of Change, San Francisco Chronicle, Preview Connecticut, Press Pass Q, The Absolute Sound (TAS), Early Music America, Massage Magazine, Advocate, Boston Bay Windows, Albuquerque Alibi, Hartford Advocate, Windy City Times, Colorado Springs Independent, Update San Diego, Baltimore Gay Paper, EXP Magazine, StereoTimes.com, New York Blade, Washington Blade, Southern Voice, Q-Notes, Dallas Voice, St. Louis Vital Voice, TWN, Chicago Free Press, Independent News, and the Seattle Weekly.
• He has also written articles for Houston Grand Opera and the New York Philharmonic (Playbill).
• Interviews with Ragnar Bohlin, Jessica Rivera, Frederica von Stade, Cecilia Bartoli, Susan Graham, Joyce DiDonato, Thomas Hampson, Todd Gustavsen, Marilyn Horne, Patricia Racette, Dawn Upshaw, Mark Padmore, Eric Owens, Charles Lloyd, Nathan Gunn, Gerald Finley, Deborah Voigt, David Daniels, Danielle de Niese, Matthias Goerne, Ian Bostridge, Angela Gheorghiu, Shirley Verrett, Renée Fleming, Nicholas McGegan, Terry Riley, David Harrington of the Kronos Quartet, Pamela & Claude Frank, Emanuel Ax & Yefim Bronfman, Alan Gilbert, Cameron Carpenter, Hilary Hahn, Pacifica Quartet, Tom Wopat, William Bolcom & Joan Morris, John Corigliano, David Del Tredici, Lionheart, Jake Heggie, Mark Adamo, Lou Harrison, Gerald Busby, Sarah Cahill, Joshua Bell, Mark Weigle, Michael Tilson Thomas, Ned Rorem, Awadagin Pratt, Eugenia Zuckerman, Tokyo String Quartet, Martin Swinger, Jonathan Biss, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Rokia Traoré, Ira Siff, Ethel, Mark O’Connor, Jennifer Higdon, Cantus, Chanticleer, Vadim Gluzman, The Klezmatics, Eroica Trio, Trio Solisti, Catherine Russell, Karrin Alysson, Diane Schuur, Lynn Harrell, Rosa Passos, Imani Winds, Anonymous 4, Mariss Jansons, Garrick Ohlsson, Richard Stoltzman, Eliot Fisk, Philippe Quint, Trio Mediaeval, Leo Kottke, Cuarteto LatinoAmericano, Matt Haimovitz, Arlo Guthrie, Nicholas McGegan, Stile Antico, David Russell, Alondra de la Parra, Max Raabe, Jordi Savall, Michael Morgan, Leah Crocetto, Semyon Bychkov, St. Lawrence String Quartet, Maya Bieser, Klaus Heymann, Michael Tilson Thomas and many more.
• CD Liner notes for Koch
To read Jason's writings on marriage equality, click here
Jason is a member of the Music Critics Association of North America.
• Editor and major contributor to PSYCHOIMMUNITY & THE HEALING PROCESS; A Holistic Approach to Immunity & AIDS (Celestial Arts, First Edition 1986, Third Edition 1990, oop). Other contributors include Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, MD, Jack Schwarz, Kevin Ryerson, Margo Adair, and Irene Smith
Other Writing Credits
• Holistic features and book reviews: Yoga Journal, Magical Blend, White Crane Journal, SF Sentinel, SF Bay Times and The Advocate
• Coordinator of the Bay Area Audiophile Society e-mail network as well as treasurer
• Editor and minutes taker for Oakland Community Policing Task Force.
• Former editor, Billy Times newsletter
• BA, Amherst College, Amherst, Mass. Independent scholar, cum laude graduate in American Studies
• Editing Classes, Media Alliance, San Francisco